Thursday, March 11, 2010

eats!

If you didn't know, my two favorite things in life are reading and cooking.


Every book I have read recently has been absolutely perfect and I got so much insight into my own life from them. I just finished reading Life of Pi. It is such a beautiful book. The way spirituality, religion, zoology, and survival are tied together is... well you should read it! For me, it was perfect to read while I am pregnant and trying REALLY hard to do the best I can for the little mini-me. In a way, I am in my own lifeboat trying my best to survive--- all the while putting someone else before me.

When I finished that, I found Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance lying around. I tried to read this book before and it was not working for me. Now I need a book! Help!

Now... food... I used to cook constantly. It was my therapy while trying to make it through the stresses of college and how I stay so healthy (first comes yoga). Since I got pregnant I have been to tired and lazy feeling to cook. Not to mention, I didn't have a functioning kitchen because Tyler was putting in a gorgeous new floor. The kitchen is still in the works, but its functioning now. The slate floor is so beautiful.
I have a little more energy than I did in the first trimester and a much bigger appetite. I have been eager to share all of my creations and recipes/secrets (and so I don't forget how the heck I made things).

Here is what I made last night:

Roasted Asparagus on top of a bed of fennel, marinated mushrooms, shallots, and tomatoes. (notice the floor!)


















Roast fresh, big asparagus in oven at 400 degree. First coat in olive oil, pepper, salt, and lemon juice. Place on top of aluminum foil on pan. Roast for 8-10 mins depending on how big asparagus are. Top with spritz of fresh lemon juice when finished.

In hot pan with oil, quick saute shallots and chopped fennel for a couple minutes, then add marinated mushrooms (marinate for 15-30 mins in balsamic vinegar) and extra balsamic vinegar from marinade. Saute for about 3-5 mins then add chopped tomatoes and stir. Stir together with whole wheat pasta cooked aldente. Add small amount of pesto. Stir and serve it up! Yum (sorry I never measure anything!)




For dessert:
Peppered balsamic strawberries













Slice fresh strawberries and toss with balsamic vinegar and sugar (enough to coat and sugar to taste. I dont like it very sweet). Marinate at room temp for an hour then serve with fresh cracked black pepper. I didn't have any but it is best with homemade whipped cream!
This was inspired by a dessert prepared at my favorite restaurant in the whole world: The Grand Concourse.

My parents and I would get all dressed up and go there as a real treat and I am certain it helped spark my love of food and preparing food. Damn, I'm hungry.

Gonna go eat...

3 comments:

  1. The slate floor looks amazing! I'll have to try out that recipe as well, I love asparagus but rarely get a chance to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my favorite part about this post is that the picture looks like someone climbed up on a ladder to take it and yet...that's just tyler's perspective on the world.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. yea. thats how i look to tyler. i wonder if he would still like me if.. or if...

    ReplyDelete